Larry Zieminski's Reviews > The Regulators

The Regulators by Stephen King

Nov 08, 10

Recommended for: Stephen King fans
Read from November 05 to 08, 2010

As a huge Stephen King fan, I'm a little biased when it comes to rating his work. It would take a really awful book for me to dislike it. Luckily, this book was not awful, it was great. It takes place on a small suburban street over a period of just 2 hours or so. A monster with reality altering powers basically uses that street as his own personal playground. This is classic King, with detailed descriptions of everything we see (this bugs some readers, but I like that style).

My only real issue with the book is that there are so many characters, it was very hard to keep them all straight in the head. I was constantly flipping back and forth trying to remember who the characters were, how we were introduced to them, etc. Instead of gradually introducing every character, we get them all at once, which was tough (I had to rely on the sketch of the street, with all the occupants listed in each house, throughout the book). If I had been able to keep them all straight, I think some of the deaths would have been a bit more emotionally resonant.

This book was released with Desperation, a companion book with characters that have the same names, but act different and deal with different problems. I haven't read that one yet, so I can't compare the two. I had The Regulators on my shelf for years, but never got around to it until now. I'm glad I finally got to it, because it is one of King's better books. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Regulators.

11/05/2010 page 1