babyhippoface's Reviews > The Luck of the Buttons

282057
May 01, 12

bookshelves: historical, humor, kids-fiction
Read in December, 2011

I liked this one, a lot. That Tugs, she's something else. Entirely likable from page 1 to page...whatever...last. And that, I have discovered, is a key requirement for me if I'm going to be able to say I enjoyed a book: I must like the protagonist. Wimpy Kid books might be funny, but darn it, I just hate that kid (which is okay, to hate him, since he's fictional and all) and therefore, I am not a fan of that series. And now I think I'm rambling.

Tugs Esther Button comes from one, big, unlucky family. "You're such a Button" is a taunt she hears more than once from local kids (mean ones). She may have crazy, unruly hair and dirty overalls, but that's just because she's so busy enjoying life that she doesn't think about changing those things. She's a happy girl.

When she wins a brand new Kodak Brownie camera, she's even happier, and seeing the world through the viewfinder gives Tugs new perspective. Maybe "unlucky" isn't a sentence she has to serve; maybe "luck" comes from your state of mind, from what you expect of the world and of yourself.

Again, she's just so darn likable. If I'd been a kid in 1929, Tugs and I--oh, Heavens to Mergatroid, I don't need to worry 'bout my grammar with this girl--me & Tugs, we'd be pals.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Luck of the Buttons.

message 1: by Mandi (new) - added it

Mandi Murphy I seriously love reading your reviews.

babyhippoface Well, thanks! I really appreciate that!