Tina's Reviews > Kataastaasan

Nov 05, 10

bookshelves: 2010, filipino, ebooks, graphic-novel, review-copy, steampunk
Read in November, 2010

Original post at One More Page

Kataastaasan by Hannah Buena and Paolo Chikiamco is not really a book but a short 22-page comic that is set in 1770 in Cebu City and tells an alternate history of the Philippines' struggle for independence from Spain. I don't want to give anything away since it's a pretty short piece, but suffice to say, I was pleasantly surprised at how the story turned out! I'm not much of a comic person and I'm fairly new to speculative fiction, so I did not know what to expect with this, but I finished this one with only one thought: that was a really cool twist.

And it really is. I thought it was a very creative use of one of the many colorful aspects of Filipino culture, with a steampunk twist. The language was easy to understand and I liked the dark vibe it had despite the innocent looking characters. I'm also not very knowledgeable in making comments on artwork, but I thought the illustrations here were very good, even if it's all in black and white. The lack of color just adds to the overall historic feel to it, IMHO.

I really, really liked this one, and it was worth the fifteen minutes I stole from work to read it. :P I'm hoping there would be more? I'm not much of a comic reader, but I'll definitely be in line for this one if there is more. :)

Kataastaasan will be published by Espresso Comics, which hopefully will be published before this year ends. Thanks to Pao for the ARC!
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kataastaasan.

message 1: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely Looks like an interesting piece of work. Thanks for letting us know that this exists!

Tina It is very interesting! I'm not sure if it's a series though but I hope it is! :)