Ali's Reviews > The Weather in the Streets

The Weather in the Streets by Rosamond Lehmann

Nov 05, 2010

Read in November, 2010

Absolutely loved this book. I finished it (very) late last night and have been thinking about the characters on and off all day today. Surely that is a sign of a great book. Written in 1936 this novel was years ahead of it's time, with it's story of an extra marital affair, secret meetings and hotel rooms and the resulting consequences.

Olivia is ten years older than when we last met her in the also brilliant An invitation to the waltz. Her marriage has broken down, and she lives with her cousin Etty in a small London house, works for a photographer and associates with other artists and writers in a somewhat bohemian style existence. Things begin to change when she meet Rollo Spencer, whom she had fantasised about in her youth, on a train.

Like so many other authors of this period I have found the real brilliance of Rosamund Lehmann is in the detail - her writing is exquisite - but her sense of time and place, her characterisation, and the way in which those characters speak to the reader is just excellent. The way in which, for example, Rosamund Lehmann portrays Olivia's sister's children, as they play in the garden, in one small (not especially important) section is a fine example, it was just so beautifully written I was thoroughly impressed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weather in the Streets.

05/21/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

You read some fantastic books. Great review

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth Bonini Today is so wet and windy . . . perfect for this book title! I have a stack of Lehmann books to read, (borrowed from a friend), but not this one . . . alas.