Kathleen Dixon's Reviews > Welcome to the South Seas: Contemporary New Zealand Art for Young People

Welcome to the South Seas by Gregory O'Brien

Mar 14, 08

bookshelves: nz, art
Read in March, 2008

I read this book by looking at one or two pages each night before turning out my light, and it's been a great way to read it. When my grandson is a little older (he's not even 6 months old yet, so ...) I shall do something similar.

This book has been thoroughly researched, is beautifully laid out, and is an excellent guide for young and old alike (though the writing style is clearly aimed at children). I particularly enjoyed seeing work of artists who I've seen exhibited. I didn't grow up exposed to modern art - visits to the Art Gallery were rare, and modern art was spoken of disparagingly. It's only in the last 20 years that I have opened myself to art appreciation, and I still feel very new at it. So making connections and feeling that I am seeing something of the history and chronology of contemporary art in New Zealand is exciting for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Welcome to the South Seas.