Jonathon Dabell's Reviews > Swallows and Amazons

Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome

Nov 05, 10

Read in July, 2010

The original Swallows and Amazons story from Arthur Ransome charts the adventures of a group of children who camp on an island in a lake in the Lake District. This hardback edition is beautifully presented with a gorgeously illustrated sleeve.
The book itself is a nostalgic and evocative story of a past that never quite existed (at least not quite the way Ransome tries to tell it!) The description is the book's strong point - wonderful sights, sounds and smells are conjured up, and by the end we really feel as if we KNOW the people and places. The characterisation is a bit weaker. The children get on ridiculously well, and manage to be resourceful and stout-of-heart throughout everything that happens to them. They're just not especially believable human beings - they're too flawless. The plot is pleasant and engrossing, a sort of episodic trip through a series of incidents and adventures upon the lake.
I'm not too sure if modern kids will really like Swallows and Amazons, but it's a good read for adults who occasionally like to dip into childrens' books. I thoroughly enjoyed it in spite of its minor flaws, and I'm already looking forward to reading the second instalment, Swallowdale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swallows and Amazons.