Brodie's Reviews > Firelight

Firelight by Sophie Jordan

May 03, 11

bookshelves: older
Read from April 20 to 24, 2011

Jacinda is a draki - part of a race that decends from dragons. They have the ability to shift in human form, which is one of their greatest secrets, one that those who hunt them are unaware of. After nearly exposing this secret to hunters, Jacinda's family make a run for it before the pride can lay down the harsh punishment on their most prized draki. Even amongst those in her own Pride, she is rare for her ability to breathe-fire. A trait believed to have died out amongst the draki. Which puts her in the direct spotlight of the elders and is expected to have mini-draki's with the future alpha, Cassian.

Jacinda's mother takes them to a hot, arid, desert-like environment. Perfect for suppressing the draki within. But killing her draki is the last thing Jacinda wants and so she struggles throughout the novel to keep that part of her alive. It's so much harder to manifest in this kind of environment and she feels as though part of her soul is dying. Until she comes across one Mr. Will Rutledge.

Will is apart of the family business - they hunt draki. But unlike the rest of his family, hungry for the bloodlust, Will despises the job thrust upon him. In the beginning of the novel, he spares Jacinda's life when she's under attack from a hunting party and when they meet again, there's an instant bond. A sense of familiarity. He, of course, doesn't recognise her in human form, since he first witnessed her in draki skin. But Jacinda knows, she could never forget that moment in the cave with Will. And so she battles with the knowledge that he is a seasoned hunter, played a part in the vicious murders toward those in her pride. But he reawakens the draki within her, the draki that is suffocating, fading, dying in the desert her mother brought her to. And she feels something for him. Throughout the novel she struggles with her attraction to him, her desire to be around him to keep her draki alive and the fact that she is prey to him and his family. Not only is she putting herself at risk by getting close to him, but also her mother, her sister and every member of her pride back home.

Oh I love my starcrossed romances. The scenes between Jacinda and Will were pitch perfect. Firelight kept me hanging on every word throughout the entire book, but the moments shared between these two ignited the pages. Sophie Jordan, you have a way with words. I want to write like you. And I want a Will. How do I make these two things mine?

There is quite a bit of back-and-forth "I have to stay away from him!" "I can't stay away from him!" throughout the novel, but it's understandable given Jacinda's situation. Besides, it's Will's fault for being so sexy and angsty - it'd make it a lot easier on a girl resisting temptation if he'd be more like his cousin, Xander! (No, I am not asking for that to happen!). I'm also quite interested to learn more about Cassian in the sequel, I feel there's a lot more layers to him are waiting to be uncovered.

I LOVE the mythology. This is coming from the girl who very stupidly put off reading this for so long because she screwed up her nose at the whole 'dragon' element. You don't need to tell me I'm an idiot. I berated myself enough all the way through reading this. The whole draki idea was so intriguing - although my only complaint was I wanted MORE of it. Despite what some of the pride were planning to do to Jacinda, I found myself wishing we had spent a little more time there exploring the other draki. Purely for my own interest! But it really did not deter me from absolutely loving this story.

Sophie Jordan's writing is beautiful and commanding - I could not pull myself away from Firelight's hypnotic grasp.The mythology is so unique and brilliantly woven while the romance will have you puffing steam from your own nose (regardless of whether you're draki!). I wanted more, I did not want to turn the final page because that means leaving this awesome world and having to wait ages for the sequel. I need Vanish asap!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firelight.

04/21/2011 page 116
04/23/2011 page 210
65.0% "I love this!!"

Kay (Bookishly Spellbound) Ooh so awesome that you're reading this. I read it not that long ago and loved it. Enjoy! Can't wait to see your review on it. :)

Brodie I'm loving it already! Stupidly I've been putting it off for a while because I was a little unsure about the whole 'dragon' element... picked it up from the library today and I don't want to stop! :)

Mira This has been one of my favorite reads of the year so far! I can not wait for the second book!

Brodie Me too! I finished it last night and now I'm itching for the sequel!

Braiden I’m looking forward to Vanish too :)

Brodie I wonder when it's being released in Australia? Not listed on Harper's website :(