Siobhan's Reviews > Under the Volcano

Apr 12, 08

bookshelves: gave-up-in-shame
Read in April, 2008

UPDATE: I GIVE UP.

The endless walk to the bus station! The endless portentous references to THE HANDS OF FATE! I CAN'T TAKE IT! GAHHHHHH111111!!!!!!1111!

It is taking me a long, long time to read this.

Not because it isn't good. Every time I pick it up I fall into this kind of weird, semi-amazed trance that makes me a.) wish I was drunk, b.) feel slightly drunk, and c.) feel like I haven't had a drink in years and could really use one RIGHT NOW. All at the same time. Which is not an unpleasant reading sensation, actually, at all.

So why is this one taking me so long to finish? Okay, here's why. I work 14-hour days and I am forced to do most of my reading on the subway, and this is not a subway book. In fact, don't even try reading this book unless you are sitting someplace where you can hear yourself think and where thinking is actually encouraged. As opposed to the subway, home of the stunned, mind-blanking state of hyper-despair that makes most sane people promptly fall asleep, dive their whole face into a book or a magazine or a paper, or seek to obviate the world via iPod. Or do all three at once.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Volcano.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick soooo instead of reading this, I should just resubscribe to The Believer..? OK THANKS BYE

message 2: by josey (new)

josey i am having a hard time with it, mainly difficult words, that when looked up the sentence still makes no sense. the movie is the greatest, and i would highly recommend it.

Kathy A gun to the head would be preferable to reading this book again!

message 4: by josey (new)

josey The movie was really good. The book is difficult, but someday I hope to read it.

Kathy I was told you can't compare the movie and the book as the movie makes sense but the book does not! Really!

message 6: by josey (new)

josey KATHY, i believe but i must try to read it all the same. i imagine since i quit it twice in over 30 years, i will still quit.

Kathy Good luck and see my message above from 9/11/13......I stand by that.