Heather's Reviews > Little Lord Fauntleroy

Little Lord Fauntleroy by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Nov 04, 10

What a wonderful book. You know it is good when you finish and right away want to read it again.I can't wait till my little boy is old enough to read this to. I think the most powerful aspect of this story is the incredible influence that a mother can have on the type of man her son becomes. Lord Fauntleroy's mother is definitely an idealized Victorian stereotype of a woman but to see how she deliberately mothers and shapes her son into an amazing person is so inspiring! I loved this quote at the end of the book about Little Lord Fauntleroy's kind nature:

"It was really a very simple thing after all-- it was only that he had lived near a kind and gentle heart, and had been taught to think kind thoughts always and to care for others. It is a very little thing, perhaps, but it the best thing of all. He knew nothing of Earls and castles; he was quite ignorant of all grand and splendid things; but he was always lovable because he was simple and loving. To be so is like being born a king."

It makes me realize that I need to be the sort of person I want my children to become. True they each have their own personalities and ambitions but in a very real way they will be come reflections of who I am and what sort of life they see me lead. It makes me want to be a much better person, so that I will be a much better mother. This story is definitely romanticized and idyllic but I think that is why it so powerful for me-- it over emphasizes the virtues and the attributes I would like to acquire and would like for my children to acquire. I've read Frances Hodgson Burnett's other stories and I think this is by far her best. A great book for mothers of young boys... and girls for that matter.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Lord Fauntleroy.