Eileen Souza's Reviews > Hidden Wives

Hidden Wives by Claire Avery

Nov 07, 10

bookshelves: north-america
Read from November 04 to 07, 2010

I'll admit that I have an unhealthy fascination with polygamy and culture. I thoroughly enjoy Big Love and Sister Wives, so when I saw this book, I just had to grab it. It was a very decent book, quick read that really did dive into the culture from the perspective of two teenage girls in the community. If I could give it 3.5 stars, I would, but it didn't quite make 4 stars to me. I would also have liked to have had book club questions and additional details from the authors about their own lives in a secluded community.

The story is told from half-sisters, Rachel and Sara. They live the life of the principle - which means early celestial marriage in a polygamist household. Their father, Abraham is one of the ugliest most horrible parents I've ever read in fiction, and their mothers are not far behind.

I found it interesting reading from both Sara and Rachel's perspective - Rachel being extremely devote, naive, and attempting to be the perfect person before God. Sara, however, still tried to be good, but had questions and began to see some things that lead her to believe that the world was not as pure as they were told it was.

Definitely recommend it for anyone who has interest in polygamist sects.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hidden Wives.