Staci's Reviews > The Debutante: A Novel

Nov 09, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-reads, tlc-tour
Recommended to Staci by: TLC
Read from November 04 to 08, 2010

Why I wanted to read this book: I've never heard of this author but after reading the premise of the story I thought it would make for an interesting read. I was intrigued with the idea of finding a box with various items in it and then setting out to explore the story behind them.

What worked for me:

* Of course, if you've read my blog long enough you'll know that I fall in love easily with all things England. So of course, I fell in love with London and the grand Georgian home tucked away by the water.

* The vulnerability of both Cate and Henry. Each had been hurt in different ways, but they both allowed it to interfere with their ability to move on with their lives and to entertain the idea of finding real love.
* I really liked how the author wrote the story in such a manner that Cate and Baby's life were very parallel to each other even though they were separated by sixty years.
* I loved the letters that Baby wrote to her sister. They helped shape your impression of Baby and allowed the reader to get a personal glimpse into her world.
* I felt like I was watching the movie, "Possession" where two people find clues tucked into the letters exchanged between two poets and therefore, find out a deep, dark secret. This is the same idea here, but Cate finds a box filled with trinkets that she believes belonged to the elusive Baby. She follows the clues in the box and finally solves the mystery of what happened to Baby.

Recommend? Most certainly! I found this book to be extremely entertaining and I actually finished it in one day!!! If you enjoy your books a bit on the dark side of human nature, with a dash of mystery and romance mixed in, then I think you will like this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Debutante.

11/07/2010 page 400

message 1: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne Great review! I really can't wait to read this title, it sounds like a book that I will fall in love with!