Tracy's Reviews > Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Nov 17, 10

Read from November 04 to 10, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I don't give out 5 stars very often... I like to reserve them for the REALLY good books out there, and this was one of them! From the very first pages, I was hooked at the story of Jacob Jankowski and his story of life in a nursing home as an elderly man recalling his "glory days" working for a circus. I became so engrossed at the story, that I began to think of Jacob, Marlena, Walter, August, Uncle Al and others as real people - a marker of a good story to me! (I also became slightly attached to Rosie, and felt awful whenever August would abuse her for not performing in the circus!)

I did have a hard time envisioning how the circus train worked - where they slept and such- as I've never seen a circus train. But the author's descriptions helped, and I quickly learned (much as Jacob did) the hierarchy of the circus world.

The ending scenes were so full of action and drama I had to read them a few times to get the full gist of what was going on! Of course the reader knows from the beginning that Jacob will end up marrying Marlena, but the circumstances of how that can be is rather shocking and gruesome..... though in my opinion, not entirely out of the realm of what August deserved!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Water for Elephants.

11/08/2010 page 173
52.0% "Now I know why everyone was reading this book a few years ago. It's great so far!"