Arlington's Reviews > In the Land of the Grasshopper Song: Two Women in the Klamath River Indian Country in 1908-09

In the Land of the Grasshopper Song by Mary Ellicott Arnold

Nov 15, 10

bookshelves: no-me-gusta-y-no-quiero-acabarlo

Interesting, if you love getting inside the head of white people blindly fucking shit up for Indians. Oh, you don't like that? Me neither. I also don't like boring things that are not just boring but take interesting situations and make them boring (polygamy! rooms full of eels! all delivered SO INANELY). I gave this 150 pages. It's non-fiction, and a diary account, so superficially it doesn't have the pressure to be rocking and rollicking, but it was pretty gross to be inside the daily head of two white people living with the Indians, mostly because there were pictures, so you get to see this picture of Essie, the Indian woman who had three husbands and her own house in a purely patriarchal society and seemed pretty fucking bad-ass, and she looks like a total bad-ass in her picture, and she's reduced to the interested but essentially idiotic comments from the gossipy patronizing mind of Mary Ellicott Arnold. I know we're supposed to be all "but it was back then and back then was back then" but gross. No thanks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Land of the Grasshopper Song.