Sheila's Reviews > The Eyes Have It

2039269
Nov 04, 10

bookshelves: lunchtime-read, suspense, mystery
Read in November, 2010

It’s lunchtime on a wet autumn day. I’ve made myself a warm drink. I sit down at the computer. And what could be better than a nice short read to drive the sound of rainfall on leaves away?

The Eyes Have It, by Denise Bartlett, fulfills the promise of its attractive cover. Swirly green letters hover over frowning, hypnotic emerald eyes. Inside, Sheriff Bobby Knowles is musing on the differences between law enforcement and peace-keeping, past and present, and love and loss. The writing draws the reader into his thoughts and memories, just as the sheriff’s moving hands draw images of long-gone beaches into waves across his glass.

But the waves in this tale have been cruel. Instead of a beach there’s a rocky cliff. Instead of loving families there’s sorrow and regret… and now this…

It’s a short, disturbing, intriguing tale with a green-eyed sting in the tale, and it’s beautifully told. The Eyes kept this reader thoroughly absorbed while her coffee went cold. But now, lunchtime’s over. It’s time to go back to housework after writing a quick book review and thanking author and publisher for an enjoyable lunch-time e-read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eyes Have It.