sdw's Reviews > Sweet Thursday

Sweet Thursday by John Steinbeck

Jan 28, 08

bookshelves: fiction, notforschool
Recommended to sdw by: Kyla!
Read in January, 2008

Sweet Thursday is a follow-up to Cannery Row. It is not as good, and I don’t recommend reading it unless you have first read Cannery Row. However, if you read and liked Cannery Row, you will most likely also enjoy Sweet Thursday. Sweet Thursday is written more like a novel with a clear plot marching forward than Cannery Row. The plot: Will Doc marry the hooker to whom he is astrologically destined for?

You can’t help but like most of the characters – and you can’t help but wish you were Doc (or at least friends with Doc) – even if he does torture animals for a living (he collects sea creatures and sells them to biology labs, etc). It’s a sweet and light-hearted read.

This quote (from Doc desperately trying to write this scientific paper) sounded exactly like the dissertation process: “It’s always hard to start to concentrate. The mind darts like a chicken, trying to escape thinking even though thinking is the most rewarding function of man.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Thursday.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura How romantic. I'd like to believe that we're all astrologically destined to find and marry that one, special hooker.