Cat's Reviews > Cake

Cake by Derekica Snake

Oct 28, 11

bookshelves: mm, novel, rape, vampires, wip
Read from November 04, 2010 to October 20, 2011

I had put this book on the side because I had thought it would be a great story. I finally realized that I had let it sit for too long waiting to enjoy it and pulled it off the shelf to read. It was such a disappointment. Despite the lovely cover that can suck you in, the three characters depicted are not nearly as lovely in personality.

Xavier is kidnapped by Marcus, a vampire, and proceeds to be tortured and raped for a year. Marcus forces him to exercise, eat only what he deems as good for him, fixes his eyesight, and assaults him every chance he gets. After a year of this, according to some vampire law, Marcus is forced to let Xavier go or turn him. He can't bear to release Xavier of course, so he turns him and marvelously discovers that Xavier is a rare breed of vampire.

The simple fact that Xavier doesn't run away nor take any revenge against Marcus was shocking enough but that he actually chooses to stay with him and continue their relationship was beyond what I could believe. He'd make out with Marcus one second and the next hate him for the year of rape and torture! Meanwhile Marcus thinks he's done only wonderful things for Xavier by turning him into the beautiful person he is now.

So much is stressed in this story about physical beauty and there were too many parallels between the "awful" person Xavier was while he was fat and ugly and how, now that he's beautiful, his life is so much better and even his choices and attitude is more pure and great. So much about Xavier was fake and commercial which plays into the themes that people work against all the time; that beauty means greatness and that "ugliness" means evilness or bad choices.

These repeated themes alone made it impossible for me to even finish the book, though I forced myself to read until there were only 2-3 chapters left.
19 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cake.

message 1: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Anderson It's typical Derekica Snake, lotsa rape and little actual coherent and believable plot. In my opinion her writing does not deserve a cover like that. I often wonder what it would be like to psychoanalyze Miss Snake.

PS - Did her spelling and grammar improve?

message 2: by Cat (new) - rated it 1 star

Cat This was the first book I've read by this author. The grammar and story structure was fine. It was the overall plot and the characters that I had issues with.

Adrian wrote: "It's typical Derekica Snake, lotsa rape and little actual coherent and believable plot. In my opinion her writing does not deserve a cover like that. I often wonder what it would be like to psychoa..."