Dustin Crazy little brown owl's Reviews > Harold and the Purple Crayon

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson

Nov 04, 2010

bookshelves: childrens, amazing, read-in-2010, read-in-2012, worth-reading-again-and-again, winter-2012, read-in-2013, read-in-2004, read-in-2014, read-in-2016, simplicity, winter2017
Read on December 31, 2016 — I own a copy , read count: 5

This book is Amazing! I love this story of imagination & imagery! My favorite part toward the end:
"And then Harold made his bed.
He got in it and he drew up the covers."
This is so perfect on so many levels. The sad thing is I don't remember reading this as a child - I am just discovering The Adventures of Harold and the Purple Crayon at age 30 - Where have you been all my life Harold? If you're like me or if you've read it before - do yourself a favor and read this book - rediscover a world of imagination and simplicity. I like Harold and the Purple Crayon better than Where the Wild Things Are, which is a book of similar material, although not quite as simplistic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harold and the Purple Crayon.

Comments (showing 1-41)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 41: by Jackie (last edited Nov 05, 2010 09:21AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jackie I LOVE this book! I've never forgotten Harold and his purple crayon and read it to my own child. It was my favorite book as a child and purple has remained my favorite color to this day. Oh, the places Harold and I went!

A friend called me a couple of days ago and said she found a vid of it and wanted to know if I wanted it for x-mas. Imdb has 3 listings for it, one in 1969, a TV series in 2002 and best of all: one listed for 2013.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl 2013? How will I be able to wait?

Jackie I know! We'll have to find something to occupy the time.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl I'll just read Dean Koontz while I'm waiting :-)

Robin I loved Harold and the Purple Crayon, I think I read this to my daughter when she was young. It is a cute story, there was a cartoon similar to this using chalk,and the kids would draw their way out of misadventures, pretty cool!

Jackie Robin, was the cartoon with Harold or was it other kids?

Robin It was a cartoon with children and it was called Chalk Zone. So it is like a take off of Harold. Something about Harold was so cute, and endearing.

Jackie I'll try to find Chalk Zone, thanks. Harold was awesome.

Robin I know, he and his purple crayon.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl I would like a cartoon of Harold while I'm waiting for 2013 to happen.

Robin What happens in 2013, Dustin?

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Robin wrote: "What happens in 2013, Dustin?"

There is supposed to be a new Harold & The Purple Crayon movie, but of course the world is ending in 2012, so I don't really know.....

Robin oh you believe in the Mayan calendar thing?

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Robin wrote: "oh you believe in the Mayan calendar thing?"

I was just joking - I haven't really looked into it - haven't even watched that movie they made, but there will a presidential election that year :-)

Robin I wonder who will be running.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Robin wrote: "I wonder who will be running."

Obama vs ?

Robin Hillary maybe?

message 24: by Jackie (last edited Nov 12, 2010 04:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jackie Robin wrote: "I wonder who will be running."

Who cares? They're all self-serving liars anyway.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Robin wrote: "Hillary maybe?"

Yeah, I'd just love to see another Obama vs. Hillary campaign :-) I was actually hoping for Hillary in 2008 and I know in one interview she said she wasn't planning on running in 2012 but it seems all politicians say that, so who knows. I'm not that into politics but it's interesting. Heard who the likely Republican candidate might be? I thought a Romney vs. Hillary would have been much more interesting than the Obama vs. McCain election that we got. Maybe Sarah Palin will run as a Tea Party Candidate and throws everything off balance. Still a little while before things really start cooking for 2012.

message 22: by Jackie (last edited Nov 12, 2010 10:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jackie Dustin wrote: in one interview she said she wasn't planning on running in 2012 but it seems all politicians say that

Right. Same as Obama said on Oprah that he wasn't running either. Hence my snarky, but apt, comment: They're all self-serving liars anyway.

Thank you for illustrating my point. LOL

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Jackie wrote: "They're all self-serving liars anyway. Thank you for illustrating my point."

:-) No Problema. You may remember when Hillary announced she was running for president on a commercial - she said: "I'm in and I'm in it to win." or something like that - well she got half of her statement correct.

message 20: by Jackie (last edited Nov 12, 2010 10:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jackie Yeah. LOL, it's sad but true. She was my State Senator and I used to like her, but she flip-flopped, like they all do sooner or later. I have no respect for a person who claims her opponent has no experience, then goes and works for him later. No principles. Politics is a dirty business, I don't envy a single one of them.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl 2013 is here. Has anyone heard of a Harold & Purple Crayon Movie?

Jackie No, I looked it up on imdb and all it says is 'in development' which really means nothing because they even stipulate that it's subject change.

If you hear of any news, let me know and I'll do likewise.

message 17: by Lance (new) - added it

Lance Greenfield Thanks Dustin. I have never heard of this Harold until today. Now, I will look out for him.

message 16: by Josh (new)

Josh Barnett I used to read this all the time when my mom had her in home daycare. One of the kids ALWAYS wanted me to read it to him. LOL. Its a great kid's book! =D

Laima This book is a treasure from my childhood!

Jackie I got in trouble for drawing on the walls like Harold. But when I had my own son, I gave him certain walls he could draw on. It worked because he never drew anywhere else.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl You are a nice mom to give him walls to draw on :-) I like the way you think.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Lance, you will love this!!!!

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Josh, it's also a great one for kids like us who are young at heart :-)

message 10: by Lance (last edited Jan 01, 2013 09:48AM) (new) - added it

Lance Greenfield Jackie wrote: "I got in trouble for drawing on the walls like Harold. But when I had my own son, I gave him certain walls he could draw on. It worked because he never drew anywhere else."

That's amazing, Jackie.

When I was a small boy, many moons ago, my father decorated my bedroom with predominantly white wallpaper. It had planes and trains and cars on it, but there was lots of white space.

Dad gave me a bunch of coloured crayons, and told me that I could draw on my bedroom wall, but nowhere else in the house.

My Mum used to read me "conventional" bed-time stories, such as The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, but when it came to my Dad's turn for a story, he used to help me draw such things as the solar system.

I was a very lucky little boy!

message 9: by Josh (new)

Josh Barnett Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Josh, it's also a great one for kids like us who are young at heart :-)"
Very, very true. lol. I really enjoyed the story, which was the reason I never complained about reading it almost every day. The kid used to call it the "purple crayon book." lol.

message 8: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen I just put a hold on this book at my library. I hadn't heard of this book previously, but after reading your review, I'm excited to read it now. :-)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Jen wrote: "I just put a hold on this book at my library. I hadn't heard of this book previously, but after reading your review, I'm excited to read it now. :-)"

I'm glad I was able to influence you. Everything is going according to my evil plan :-)

... and if you like crayons you'll also likely enjoy this book about Markers:
Purple, Green, and Yellow by Robert N. Munsch

message 6: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen I read it this morning and loved it! Thank you soooo much for bringing it to my attention. :-)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Jen wrote: "I read it this morning and loved it!"

:-) You have excellent taste in literature!

message 4: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: ":-) You have excellent taste in literature!"

Thank you kindly. I can say the same for you! :-)

Keeka How old are you guys? I'm 9.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Keeka wrote: "How old are you guys? I'm 9."

Age is a funny thing. I am about 8 because I was born on a leap year and I will always be young at heart :-) I stopped aging at 30.

Keeka cool!