Gayle's Reviews > Distant Waves

2198410
Nov 08, 10

bookshelves: children-s-young-adult
Read from November 04 to 06, 2010

As a longtime history buff of things Titanic, it always bothers me when authors use it and either make the story dull or silly. This book calls itself "a novel of the Titanic," but let the reader beware - that's only a small part of this story. What this book IS about is the spiritualist movement of the late 19th and early 20th century. A self-proclaimed medium and her five daughters go to live in Spirit Vale, New York, a town full of those with "the gift." The six women manage to have run-ins with most of the big names of spritualist history: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Harry Houdini, and others. Throw in a major dose of Nikola Tesla, one of the quirkiest scientists of that era and you have a truly interesting mix. Add a set of psychic twins and put a lot of these folks on the Titanic and you have a recipe for disaster. Read this book for the historical characters and their influence on society and science. If you read it for the small taste of Titanic that is offered, you'll leave disappointed. I won't describe the author's loopy theory for why Titanic sank or the way some of the characters manage to survive - it hurts me too much.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Distant Waves.