Edan's Reviews > The People Who Watched Her Pass By

The People Who Watched Her Pass By by Scott Bradfield

Nov 08, 10

bookshelves: tried-but-failed-to-read

I am in such a reading rut, and have been since September or so. I got through Freedom, but it took almost a month, and since then, I haven't found a book that really captures my heart and mind, and makes me put down all other tasks so that I can read it.

This book was recommended to me by a friend, and I purchased it without really even looking at it. There's some beautiful prose, but the premise was a little too unbelievable to me. A three-year-old girl gets taken from her home by the man who fixes the water heater, and then she moves through a series of strange characters, some of whom she stays with, some of whom simply cross her path. I just had trouble with this concept, and I wanted to feel more than disconcerted. Also, many of the characters speechify to little Sal, and I got bored of that pattern.

I only got about 60 pages in, which perhaps isn't fair. I blame myself for not connecting with this book. I could see how another reader might fall in love. It's just not for me.

And so I continue my reading rut. Ugh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The People Who Watched Her Pass By.

message 1: by Barry (new)

Barry I'll keep a eye on what you think of this as it's currently on my Christmas wish-list. :-P

Melani To criticize Bradfield for lacking verisimilitude is like dismissing Aesop's fables because animals can't talk. You missed the proverbial boat.

message 3: by Edan (new) - added it

Edan And, in my review, I did blame myself for missing said boat, no?

Melani My bad. I thought I was commenting on a different person's review. You *were* quite humble in your assessment. Apologies!

message 5: by Edan (new) - added it