Bekah's Reviews > Thunder and Roses

Thunder and Roses by Mary Jo Putney

Jan 31, 11

bookshelves: indecent-proposal, 2011-reads, read-own
Read from January 31 to February 04, 2011

I love the whole indecent proposal plot scheme. In this book, Clare approaches the Demon Earl, Nicholas to help bring back jobs and life into her little village. Nicholas, a little drunk, agrees if Clare agrees to live with him in the hopes that she will one day agree to become his mistress. And oh yeah he's entitled to one kiss a day at a time and place of his choosing.

So, I found this book really quite good at the moments when Clare and Nicholas were together and other 'village matters' were not encroaching on their time and the book. The steam was good and there were moments where I really got into the book. But for the most part, I struggled through it. I really didn't like Nicholas. He wasn't HORRIBLE, but he was very selfish in my opinion. He wasn't concerned about the sacrifices Clare was making or taking and he didn't seem to care that she would be losing everything she'd ever known - her entire life. Also, at one point in an argument, he flat out told her there were women more beautiful than her and once when a daily kiss went to far and she demanded he stop, he called her a teasing bitch. Big no no in my romance world. Calling the heroine a bitch is a tricky tricky slope and has to be handled very carefully for it to be pulled off.
So as a hero usually makes a book for me, a hero also makes a book for me, and Nicholas was just no hero in my book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thunder and Roses.