Stephanie's Reviews > I Am Number Four

Nov 04, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, sci-fi
Read in November, 2010

I first found out about this book because I saw the teaser trailer for the movie coming out in February. I thought the author's name Pittacus Lore was slightly odd and wasn't sure what the book would be about. After getting a sample of the story, I thought I would give the book a try and bought it for my Kindle.

The story is about a group of nine children from the planet Lorien that were sent to live on Earth hiding from an evil race of aliens known as the Mogadorians. The Mogadorians attacked Lorien and killed off everyone on the planet. And now they are looking at taking over Earth as soon as they finish killing off the nine remaining Lorien children.

The group of children are numbered in a sequence and protected by a charm in which the Mogadorians have to find them and kill them in sequence in order to succeed. I am Number Four follows the story of the fourth Lorien child who is now fifteen years old (though in the movie trailer they make him look like he's seventeen or eighteen). The story is told from the prospective of Four, who is named John Smith.

He moves from town to town with his guardian, Henri. They decide to stay in Paradise, Ohio and John ends up meeting Sarah and Sam. He finally gets to live the life of a real teenager and experience life as a teen without having to worry about moving. Though things start to happen and John starts to learn his powers.

With the impending threat of the Mogadorians looking for them, John defies Henri's insistence about leaving Paradise. They aren't safe and a war begins.

I enjoyed this book though it was slightly different for me to read a book from a male perspective since I tend to read more female oriented titles. Sometimes John can be annoying but I figured it came with the territory of being a young fifteen year old boy and not making the wisest decisions in the world. The book is descriptive and intriguing. There seems to be so many secrets and new developments that it makes you wanting to know more. I can't wait until the second book comes out next year. I'm dying to find out if there will be answers to my infinite questions!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Number Four.