Katrina Burchett's Reviews > A Girl Named Mister

A Girl Named Mister by Nikki Grimes

Nov 11, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, favorite-reads, books-i-own
Read in November, 2010

Mary Rudine: First it was Mary, then it was M.R. Mister is all anybody calls me now… Mister wears a purity ring. She has made the choice to save herself for the man she marries, but then she meets Trey and finds out that a commitment to abstain from sex can be more difficult to keep than she thought.

Before Trey, Mister was a good Christian girl. After Trey, she was still a good Christian girl even though she didn’t think so; she just made a bad choice. A few sweet, soft-spoken words and sensual touches from a good-looking guy and Mister compromised her beliefs. A momentary lapse of reason and she allowed herself to be used. She didn’t realize that at the time, because she believed Trey really cared about her. She needed to find a way to move on without guilt or shame. Mary, Mary was a book of poetry about Christ’s mother and it belonged to Mister’s mother. Mister read it faithfully and it was in those pages where she found comfort and answers to her questions.

A Girl Named Mister is written in verse. This format worked better in some chapters than others. What I mean is that certain chapters had more of a poetic feel. SOFT was my favorite.

Mister made a mistake that teenage girls make every day. She regretted her choice and she wasn’t sure how to cope with her pregnancy. She is a very realistic character and there will be readers – Christian or not - who will identify with her. I found out about this story when a FB friend brought the free e-book to my attention (My mobile phone had a Free Amazon Kindle app. I am so amazed at technology these days!) Even though I’m not really into poetry like I used to be many years ago, I enjoyed this book. I liked it so much, in fact, that I purchased the hardcover soon after I read the e-book. It is a must read for teenage girls and their parents. I highly recommend it!

Parents: There is a bit of profanity and sexual content

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Girl Named Mister.