Chachic's Reviews > Table for Two

it was ok
bookshelves: by-a-filipino-author
Read from November 04 to 05, 2010

Originally posted here.

Based on the summary above, you'd think I wouldn't be surprised to discover that the book is composed of short stories about different people and yet I was. For some reason, I thought it was going to be one cohesive story with just multiple characters. As a result, I was confused at the start and I wasn't able to connect with the characters as much as I'd hope because the narratives about them were so short. Also, the stories have varying points of view that added to the confusion - some of them were in first person and others in third person, some of them were from guys' points of view and some from girls' (although I think that's actually a good thing). It really is a shame that I didn't like the book that much because I think the writing was beautiful. I even added a couple of favorite quotes in the Goodread's page of the book.

If the novel was lengthier, the author might have been able to pull off a Love Actually -esque story, where all the anecdotes are tied together by the cozy coffee shop where they all hang out. Unfortunately, that didn't happen. Still, the writing is a redeeming factor of the book and I recommend this to anyone who likes reading Filipino chick lit. Again, I'm sorry to international readers out there but this book is only available locally.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Table for Two.

Quotes Chachic Liked

Marla Miniano
“...falling in love and trying to make someone fall in love with you and working to stay in love and forcing yourself to fall out of love with someone who will never love you back is much, much more exhausting than being alone.”

Marla Miniano
“It's the little things she needs someone for, like someone to hold her hand at the end of a long day, or someone to watch stupid comedies with, or someone to curl up with on the couch on a lazy Sunday morning as she reads the newspaper and eats her cereal. Which probably means she doesn't 'need' someone in the strictest sense, although at the end of a long day, or while watching a stupid comedy, or on a lazy Sunday morning, having someone would be very much appreciated.”

Marla Miniano
“Guys are so easy to drive out of your life, especially when their interest in you has mostly been sustained by your blind, naive, hopelessly hopeful interest in them.”

Marla Miniano
“Goodbye is a strange concept - if the person being left behind resents it and refuses to accept it, is it still goodbye, or simply a departure?”

11/04/2010 page 29

Alibiserver one of the weirdest things I read was dipping a sandwich in a shake... How good is that?

Chachic Did one of the characters in this book do that? I can't remember...

Gene It was a ham and cheese sandwich dunked in coffee, second story. Yuck!