Lacy Williams's Reviews > They Almost Always Come Home

They Almost Always Come Home by Cynthia Ruchti

Nov 03, 2010

bookshelves: great-reads
Read in November, 2010

You know those books that change your life, stick with you long after you've reached "the end," and you know you'll read them over and over? This is one of them.

Women's fiction is not my favorite genre - I'm a romance junkie - so I always start out reading these books a little "skeptical"... well, by about page three Ruchti had grabbed me with her character's voice and the unique beginning of this tale. "I couldn't put it down" sounds so cliche, but it is SO TRUE about this book!

THE STORY: Libby Holden and her husband Greg have a twenty-three year long marriage - but it's on the rocks, thanks to a tragedy in their past and growing distance between them. Libby's even been contemplating leaving. So when her husband fails to return from a Canadian wilderness trek - his first solo trip - her first reaction is to think *he's* left *her*. Until the evidence starts coming in...

From the beginning, the reader knows that Libby is suffering from an event in the past, and that it's caused a big distance between her and her husband - and the reader feels every poignant emotion *with* Libby. That's the way Ruchti writes - deep so that you *are* the character and what happens to her changes your heart too.

The visuals in this book are SO descriptive and filled with deeper meaning; they make your breath stick in your chest. There is just so much I can say about this book - it is a fast-paced, emotional roller coaster that is just wonderful.

Highly highly recommended. I'm going to be buying copies of this book for Christmas gifts this year.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read They Almost Always Come Home.

05/04 marked as: read