Alexander Curran's Reviews > The Woman in the Dunes

The Woman in the Dunes by Kōbō Abe
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman in the Dunes.

Quotes Alexander Liked

Kōbō Abe
“There wasn't a single item of importance [in the newspaper]. A tower of illusion, all of it, made of illusory bricks and full of holes. If life were made up only of imporant things, it really would be a dangerous house of glass, scarcely to be handled carelessly. But everyday life was exactly like the headlines. And so everybody, knowing the meaninglessness of existence, sets the centre of his compass at his own home.”

Kōbō Abe
“One could not do without repetition in life, like the beating of the heart, but it was also true that the beating of the heart was not all there was to life.”

Kōbō Abe
“He wanted to believe that his own lack of movement had stopped all movement in the world, the way a hibernating frog abolishes winter.”

message 1: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda There is a Japanese film adaptation of this book too, isn't there?

Alexander Curran Amanda wrote: "There is a Japanese film adaptation of this book too, isn't there?"

There certainly is...Coincidently one of my favourite films. Pure existentialism. I do love ambiguity I admit it. :)

message 3: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Good to know. Would you recommend reading the book first?

Alexander Curran Probably best to read the book because many people tend to be confused by the film. Although I loved the film and understood the significance behind it's outlook on our life. The point of purpose and being a prisoner is sometimes not being restricted by a room or a place, we can be trapped by the pointlessness of our existence. Going to work, making dinner, waking up the next day...Repeating the process. Then you sometimes ask yourself: Am I prisoner? Restricted to this routine? Or am I doing something meaningful?

message 5: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Sounds just up my street :)

I like 'thinking' media.