Jeanette's Reviews > Burmese Lessons: A true love story

Burmese Lessons by Karen Connelly

F_50x66
Nov 03, 10

Read in October, 2010

This book gripped me from the first page. It is a memoir about the author's time living in Burma and Northern Thailand when she was doing research for a book about Burma. The description of the people she met, interviewed and the friends that she made was fascinating. I enjoyed being allowed to have a glimpse into the very secretive world of Burmese life. I also admire her willingness to take risks to tell the story that needs to be told about the way the Burmese people have to live under their present rulers and what people are doing to try to change the government.

I found the description of her experiences of her time with the Burmese political resisters in Northern Thailand fascinating, because I spent ten days on a hiking trip in that area. While we were on our hike, we heard guns and later found out that war had once again broken out between Thailand and Burma. We were able to see the Burmese soldiers camps across the border even before the fighting began. Because of this conflict, we were unable to go into Burma for a day trip. It made the book even more interesting to be able to visualize the area that the author described.

Maybe I'm a prude, but I didn't think we needed to know quite so much about the author's sex life when she and Maung were having their affair. I found it was a bit distracting from the intensity of the story she was telling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burmese Lessons.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Aban (Aby) I'm glad you enjoyed the book, Jeanette. Just wait until you read "Lizard Cage", it's superb!