LJ's Reviews > Ghost of a Chance

Ghost of a Chance by Simon R. Green

Nov 03, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, male_author, supernatural
Read in October, 2010

First Sentence: These days, ghosts turn up in the damnedest places.

Members of the Carnacki Institute JC Chance, team leader; Melody Chambers, scientist; and telepath Happy Jack Palmer; are in the London Underground due to an entity are up against employees from the Crowley Project as well as something evil in the London Underground causing the trains to eat the passengers.

I thought this would be the perfect book to read in October and it started off well. The first chapter is passive enough yet makes you turn on extra lights and wonder at the wisdom of reading this book when you’re alone. Unfortunately, things go downhill quickly from there.

It’s not Green’s writing. His skill at painting a visual picture is certainly in evidence as he provides our first look at the protagonists describing them as “three figures standing together in the middle of the car park, looking expectantly about them like theatre patrons waiting for the play to begin.” He also raises the same point as those of us who watch ghost-hunting shows: “Why can’t ghosts manifest during working hours?” At the same time, I found the hyperbole excessive to the point of irritation. There was no balance and every entity was the most evil they’d ever encountered.

Where Green really lost me reading this book was the characters. What makes Green’s “Nightside” books work so well is that they focus on Jack Taylor, who lends a sense of reality to a surreal work. In this book, not one of them is interesting, empathetic or remotely likable. Where I knew it was time to stop reading was when I found myself hoping the nasty spirits would eat all the characters. It’s back to the “Nightside” for me.

GHOST OF A CHANCE (Para Inves-JC Chance/Melody Chambers/Happy Jack Palmer-NYC-Urban Fantasy) - DNF
Green, Simon R. – 1st of series
ACE, ©2010 (Reprint), US Paperback – ISBN: 9780441019168
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ghost of a Chance.

Colleen Great review. I love how you were hoping the ghosts would eat the characters! I've had similar feelings toward other books. I've just started reading this book and I'm not crazy about the characters themselves so far, so hopefully the storyline will be enough to keep me interested. We'll see...

message 2: by LJ (new) - rated it 1 star

LJ Thank you, Colleen. This was, apparently, an early work by Green and has he ever improved since then. I love the "Nightside" series but this was, for me, beyond dreadful.

Susan odd, in my review I noted that the big nasty should eat these characters. Colleen recommended I read your review; thanks!