Heather's Reviews > Good In Bed

Good In Bed by Jennifer Weiner

Jan 11, 11

bookshelves: adult, most-read-by-friends
Recommended to Heather by: most of my friends
Recommended for: fans of bad chick-lit
Read from January 06 to 10, 2011, read count: 1

Wow - this book made Jodi Picoult seem like good literature. It was simultaneously cliche and yet completely unbelieveable. It seemed rather aimless - it didn't have a hugely clear arc, it just sort of followed the main character around for awhile. (SPOILER: the obvious glue was the pregnancy, which was the affect of the breakup, ending in the birth, etc. But that didn't really hold for me, esp since the pregnancy wasn't really the beginning and the birth wasn't really the end.) It was a very easy read, so it was alright, and there were a couple of cute moments in which I smiled to myself, but then thought that Sophie Kinsella can do the humor in chick-lit much better. Finally--and I recognize this may only be an issue for me, as a licensed health care provider, and I know they slightly addressed it at the end--but it was so completely inappropriate that (SPOILER) her doctor dated her I just could not in any way get on board. I saw it coming really early on (in fitting w/the writing/feeling/plot being cliche). The one thing that did NOT feel cliche but then was just surprising to me and really strange, (SPOILER) was that I assumed that the ex didn't get the letter and that was why he didn't respond - I thought it was really atypical, and also somewhat unrealistic, and didn't do much for the book except send her into that weird catatonic state at the end, that he actually ignored the letter. So yes, I'm criticizing the book for when it was cliche, and also for when it bucked the cliche.

I read Cassi's review after I formulated my own but right before I actually wrote this, and could not agree more w/everything she said. Thanks for the validation, Cass!

PS The book cover also is annoying. It has absolutely nothing to do w/the book or any of the characters. The only relationship is that it might be a picture of YOU b/c it's billed as a beach read. For some reason that really annoyed me!

PPS I didn't totally hate this book WHILE I was reading it as much as this makes it sound. It was light and easy and somewhat entertaining. But also, see above.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good In Bed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Flannery (new)

Flannery Until this moment, I thought this book was just a collection of sex stories. Thanks for bursting my bubble.

Heather Hey, better now, than when you crack open that bare-legged-covered book and feel extremely disappointed and don't have an alternate book lined up! ; ) (like you would ever not have another book to turn to...but you know what I mean!!)