Katharine Kimbriel's Reviews > Mistral's Kiss

Mistral's Kiss by Laurell K. Hamilton

Nov 03, 10

bookshelves: fantasy-horror, fantasy
Read in January, 2007

This book was too short for a hardback. It also doesn't stand on its own very well. MISTRAL'S KISS should have been the back end of the last book. I bought it because a) I find what Laurell is doing with the re-establishing of true Faerie in modern America interesting, b) I got it at a deep discount, and c) Merry Gentry is one of my guilty pleasures. This series has more sex in it than I care for (although I tried to reconstruct several scenes about the rebirth of various things in Faerie without the graphic details, and it's hard to get the same impact without the sex) but the way she handles the Fae politics is better than most. She's clearly thought a lot about it.

I don't have as much of a problem with Merry Gentry as I did with Anita Blake (I quit there after Obsidian Butterfly, which was the last good PI/horror/fantasy Anita Blake, as far as I can tell) because Merry is obviously an avatar of her people, chosen by the goddess in one last desperate attempt to resurrect a dying people. So the sex has a place in the plot. But there hasn't been as much plot as I need in these lately.

I'll hang in there, but I'm shifting to paperback, or waiting until I can get it at the library!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistral's Kiss.