Andrew Edelstein's Reviews > I Will Fear No Evil

I Will Fear No Evil by Robert A. Heinlein

Nov 03, 2010

it was ok
Read in January, 2010

I was willing to give this one a chance, because it was Heinlein, but I have to admit the premise sounded rather hokey before I started. It didn't get any better as I actually read it and eventually I just put it down and didn't bother to go back. You could tell by 1970, Heinlein was well in his decline. Clearly in Heinlein's universe, despite appearances to the contrary, women are nothing more than baby factories who look pretty. It's OK for them to "work", as long as their husbands are willing to let them out of the kitchen, but they should stick to "women's work" like secretarial or nursing.
I had trouble with the idea that an elderly, heterosexual male would suddenly "switch sides", not because he's particularly liberated, but simply on the basis of his brain occupying a young female body. Having been many years a mans-man, suddenly it's his duty, as a newly minted woman, to learn to be pretty and lady like and engage in makeout sessions with his/her guards when no one (of consequence) is looking. Perhaps this was "liberated" sexual politics in 1970, but 40 years on, it doesn't hold up well.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Will Fear No Evil.