Mrs. Foley's Reviews > I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced

I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali

F_50x66
Nov 03, 10

Read in November, 2010

This is one of the books for our Faculty Book Group discussion this month. It is a very compelling true story told simply. It is a quick read, but impacts you greatly. I plan to research what has happened to Nujood since the publication of the book and will be interested to see all the wonderful things I am sure she will do with her life.

Review from Booklist:
Chosen by Glamour magazine as a Woman of the Year in 2008, Nujood of Yemen has become an international hero for her astonishingly brave resistance to child marriage. Sold off by her impoverished family at the age of 10, continually raped by her husband before she even reached puberty, Nujood found the courage to run away, and with the help of an activist lawyer, sympathetic judges, and the international press, she divorced her husband and returned home. Her clear, first-person narrative, translated from the French and written with Minoui, is spellbinding: the horror of her parents' betrayal and her mother-in-law's connivance, the grown-ups who send the child from classroom and toys to nightmare abuse. She never denies the poverty that drives her parents and oppresses her brothers, even as she reveals their cruelty. Unlike her passive mother, she is an activist, thrilled to return to school, determined to save others, including her little sister. True to the child's viewpoint, the grown-up cruelty is devastating. Readers will find it incredible that such unbelievable abuse and such courageous resistance are happening now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced.