Josephus FromPlacitas's Reviews > Resistance

Resistance by Carla Jablonski

Nov 03, 2010

it was ok
Read in November, 2010

The story of the book is not terribly challenging or daring, with heroic characters all doing the right thing and surviving without terrible consequence. It eventually builds to a simple plot with some tension and suspense, and that moves respectably. But the characters face no moral questions of consequence, no difficulties or hard decisions. And this becomes inexcusable in the author's afterword, where she very carefully describes the hard choices members of the French Resistance had to make, the moral ambiguities about what they did. The author KNEW she could include more complex problems, harder choices for her characters, less cardboard heroism in her story, and she didn't.

Many readers, especially young ones, probably want to think that "I would have stood up against the Nazis," or "I wouldn't have collaborated in slavery" and other pious, self-flattering conceits. I think it's a better service to the reader to show how easy it is to lapse into collaboration, Eichmann-hood, how small the human spirit can actually be in a complex world. I'll take Kafka over Horatio Alger any day. This book, at least in Book 1, has robbed its young readers.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Resistance.