LauraJane's Reviews > Adam Bede

Adam Bede by George Eliot

Nov 24, 10

Read from November 06 to 24, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I have a confession to make: about 2/3 through this book, I started comparing it to Twilight.

I know just about every English teacher I've ever known is going to faint when they hear me say it, but hear me out on this:

A pretty girl with no emotional capacity outside of caring about herself is attracted to a rich unattainable guy who is also too self absorbed and delusional to care about how his actions affect other people. Rich unattainable guy flips out, leaves town and leaves pretty girl in a selfish downward spiral. Pretty girl toys with the emotions of a big hairy blindly loyal local guy and pines away for rich unattainable dude.

Sound familiar?

'swhat I thought.

Luckily, that's where the comparisons stop. George Eliot (thankfully) has the ability to string a sentence together using real actual grammar, complete with allusions, metaphors and other literary devices.

I'll stop. This is not a 'bash Twilight' review. It's a 'praise Adam Bede' review. Sorry.

Most of the main action of the plot occurs WELL in to the second half of the book, while the first half meticulously immerses the reader in to the world of late eighteenth century rural England. It is a beautiful, brief window in to a different time and way of life.

Eliot's true gift lies in her ability to put real, very complex human emotions on to the page with elegance. You feel for each character. You see their strengths discussed right along with their faults and you love each character - sometimes *because* of their faults.

Adam Bede came highly recommended to me, and I will highly recommend it to you.

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adam Bede.

11/10/2010 page 84
11/12/2010 page 138
22.0% ""Dear heart, dear heart! But you must have a cup o' tea first, child," said Mrs Poyser, falling at once from the key of B with five sharps to the frank and genial C."
11/12/2010 page 144
23.0% "...for where's the use of a woman having brains of her own if she's tackled to a heck as everybody's a-laughing at? She might as well dress herself fine to sit back'ards on a donkey."
11/18/2010 page 300
48.0% "The secret of our emotions never lies in the bare object, but in the subtle relations to our own past: no wonder the secret escapes the unsympathising observer, who might as well put on his spectacles to discern odours."
show 2 hidden updates…