Heidi's Reviews > Over the River and Through the Wood: A Thanksgiving Poem

Over the River and Through the Wood by Lydia Maria Francis Child

Nov 18, 10

bookshelves: children-0-12, fiction, holiday, picture-books, toddler-storytime-prep, toddler-storytime-read
Read on November 03, 2010

I do like the pictures in this one. Very lovely and just adds to the song that I loved singing when I was younger. Somehow as a child I never got that this was a Thanksgiving song. We didn't sing all the verses, so that could be a reason. And the fact that we always sang it at that time of year just didn't register. (Nor did hearing it on the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving movie every year.) Oh well.

This one is good for toddler, considering the breaks in the text.

11/9/10 Went well with toddler. The brief spurts of text on a page followed with actions was perfect for them. And you could tell the adults liked seeing more verses in the song that we are not as familiar with.

11/16/10 & 11/18/10 This went off well in both groups. I think the large quality of the pictures also helped with the toddler age. I'm glad I didn't pass this one up because of the "cliche-ness" of the song that I had originally thought.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Over the River and Through the Wood.