Joy (Cheery♡Reads)'s Reviews > Shades of Milk and Honey

Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal

Jul 20, 12

bookshelves: i-own, historical-romance-highlanders
Read in June, 2011

This was dubbed as the perfect blend of Jane Austen's works with a dash of magic. I totally am in love with this story. I've always had a passion for classics - writings, arts and music - so this book was just a perfect and refreshing break from all the drama of YAs' I've been indulging in. It's so good to go back to the roots for my passion to reading.

As I have mentioned in my status, Jane is a very lovable character. I am glad that she was portrayed as sensible, simple and plain but rich in the womanly arts. It's nice to read of simple and plain heroines now and then as most are described as gorgeous and beautiful in books nowadays. Jane's family is a well-rounded family with a sensible father figure. Thank god for that. I have a love and hate relationship with her mother and sister Melody. Both are the exact epitome of women in that period. Melody infuriated me with her selfishness and self-pity but I was glad to see her mature and realized her wrongs near the end of the book. Jane's mother is rather silly - in a good way - and surprising as she showed sensibleness and calm when certain situation arose.

I enjoyed reading about Mr. Vincent and the rest of the secondary characters. They were crafted uniquely; possessing their own individualities. Thus, making them memorable even after finishing the book.

What I enjoyed and relished most about Miss Kowal's writing was the romance. It was simple yet could invoke such strong and hidden passions of emotions. I love it. I love how an old-fashioned romance (I am not ashamed to admit that I am one at heart) could be so beautiful. Truth be told, I read that particular scene several times. It made love as it is supposed to be. Pure and simple without all the triangles or rectangles involved. The only thing was I wished that it didn't have to include a scene of them already in their golden years. It somehow sapped me back to reality and pulled me out of the fairy tale realm I created while reading this. It's not a problem though. Just what I thought at first but seemed sweet after rereading the ending again and again.

Others compared Kowal's works with Austen's and judged her. To me, the writings and style may be similar but it isn't fair to criticize her that it isn't up to par with Austen's. Each author has their own distinct style no matter how similar it is to another legendary author just as how everyone seems to enjoy praising or criticizing paranormal YAs with Twilight. Jeez..it's as if Twilight is the ONLY 'awesome' title out there.

I am so ecstatic to know that there will be a sequel. *squeals in delight* If only 2012 would approached sooner. Now, I shall withdraw to the pleasant imaginaries that have sprouted from this story.
*Dreamy sigh*

P/s: I adore the cover. It perfectly conveys the essence of the story.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Milk and Honey.

06/26/2011 page 207
68.0% "Jane is such a lovable character. Her mother and sister were exactly the epitome of the majority of women in that period."