The Library Lady's Reviews > In the Company of Others

In the Company of Others by Jan Karon

Nov 03, 10

bookshelves: adult-fiction

Familiar with the term "Deux ex machina"? It's a device used in ancient Greek drama, where having written themselves into a corner, the author would add a god coming down from the heavens (lowered on stage w/a crane) to solve everything.

Well, I've decided that that's what Father Tim has become. He swoops down from the sky (in this case from an airplane) and by the time he and Cynthia leave all the wrongs have been righted, everyone has found God (the Episcopal sort, even if they're Catholics) and they all live happily ever after.

Don't get me wrong. I like Karon. And I really like Father Tim. But taking him further and further from Mitford, from those wonderful characters who feel so real, is diminishing her writing.

And if she wanted to write a story about the diary characters, fine, then she should have done that instead of plunking it into her book here. I skipped virtually every entry, wanting to get back to the REAL story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Company of Others.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy I agree that the journal entries really bogged down the story. It would have been better if it tied in more to Father Tim's own story or even to the current residents of the two homes. Im not used to being "bogged down" in the midst of a Karon novel. She did tie it altogether nicely at the end, but it was a struggle to get there.

Sally Wessely I totally agree with you on this review. You said it well.

Susan I liked this book but not like the others. It took me far too long to finish. I had a hard time getting into it and staying with it. Stuck it out, glad I did but could have done without the diary.

message 4: by Helen (new) - added it

Helen Lukens I miss Father Tim and his chipmunk hairdo and all of those wonderful characters who lived around him. Maybe it's time to read this series again.

Brenda Yes! You said it perfectly, exactly how I felt.

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Absolutely agree too! I loved the first Father Tim book but struggled with this one. I liked the way it all came together but I also found myself glancing over the journal entries to get back to the "real" story (and I love history!) I am looking forward to a story on Dooley & Lace.