Manny's Reviews > Everything Explained Through Flowcharts: All of Life's Mysteries Unraveled Including Tips for World Domination, Which Religion Offers the Best Afterlife, the Secret Recipe for Gettin' Laid Lemonade

Everything Explained Through Flowcharts by Doogie Horner

Nov 11, 10

bookshelves: too-sexy-for-maiden-aunts, well-i-think-its-funny, parody-homage
Recommended to Manny by: David G
Read from November 09 to 10, 2010

In his typically dry, understated way, David Giltinan described this book as "pants-crappingly awesome" - but I knew what he meant, and immediately ordered a copy. It does not disappoint.

Friends, we're always* saying we LOLed. LOL is an acronym that is supposed to mean "laugh out loud". In fact, Table 1 give you a detailed breakdown of what LOL really means, using the scale employed by professional Internet humorologists:
_________________________________________
4 (8%) Single stifled guffaw
5 (3%) Peal of head-turning laughter
6 (1%) Helpless, prolonged, tears-in-eyes giggling
MOST FUNNY
Table 1. What LOL really means when it's used on Goodreads.
_________________________________________

I lost count of how many times I got to stages 4 and 5, and reached 6 at least twice - embarrassingly, both of them were on the chart Things To Say During Sex. But maybe that's just me, and other people will be more amused by Freudian interpretations of the American Dream, a brief lesson in Dolphin (eee-UUUeee-UUU-click! means "Although I am from the above-world, I still love your daughter") and a knock-out tournament in which all past and present US Presidents battle it out to the death. There's also a ludicrously exact table categorising superheroes and their superpowers, a flowchart explaining how the Ancient Egyptian Afterlife works and several other things that David G mentioned in his review.

Unless you're a Viking warrior with a spear through your body or suffer from some other medical condition where laughing is counter-indicated, I strongly recommend buying this book. It's funny.

* Except for notgettingenough, who hates the word. Not, I am specifically excluding you from this claim, so there is no need to post a denial.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything Explained Through Flowcharts.

11/09/2010 page 30
18.0% "I think I'll have to hide this. I have work to do."
11/09/2010 page 100
60.0% "This book really does explain everything! For example, Alien Sex, The American Dream, Casual Dining and Disgraced Beauty Queens." 10 comments
11/10/2010 page 140
83.0% "It's worth getting just for Things To Say During Sex. I'm not exaggerating."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Kat Kennedy Your review was pants-crappingly funny so I think I'll go out and get this book after I read Would You Eat Your Cat?.

message 2: by AH (new)

AH This book title made for some great dinner conversation today. Thanks for the laugh of the day.

message 3: by notgettingenough (last edited Nov 10, 2010 10:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

notgettingenough 7) 6am Very sleepy smile, falls back under the doona.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol Thanks for the review, Manny, it sounds like an excellent Xmas gift for my nephew!

Manny Thanks everyone for the kind words! Though I would like to make it clear that this book is at least 100 times funnier than my review. It's definitely the funniest thing I've read all year.

David Have I ever steered you wrong?

message 7: by Traveller (last edited Dec 11, 2012 12:28AM) (new) - added it

Traveller 1 (42%) Knowing smirk
2 (30%) Genuine smile
3 (16%) Inadvertent snort<<< up to there, is LOL for me.

From here, >>> 4 (8%) Single stifled guffaw
5 (3%) Peal of head-turning laughter
6 (1%) Helpless, prolonged, tears-in-eyes giggles,<< is ROFL to me.

Admittedly, there have been times that i started laughing so much that i almost fell off my chair, (like when reading this review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/... , for instance, or any number of Manny reviews) ;), but i've never literally rolled on the floor laughing. :P

message 8: by Ian (new) - added it

Ian Paganus de Fish notgettingenough wrote: "7) 6am Very sleepy smile, falls back under the doona."

message 9: by Traveller (last edited Dec 11, 2012 12:35AM) (new) - added it

Traveller Ian wrote: "notgettingenough wrote: "7) 6am Very sleepy smile, falls back under the doona."

They are the best, not. "My partner woke with a laugh" would make my day, my week, my life even."

I've done some stifled guffawing and head-turning laughter reading a few of your reviews too, Ian, even eye-tearing giggles. One that really had them coming was your "erotica by numbers" review.

message 10: by David (new)

David 'Pants-crappingly awesome' is MY phrase! Giltinan stole it from me!

Stop, thief!

message 11: by GHOULIO™ (new) - added it

GHOULIO™ lol

Manny julio wrote: "lol"

Which version was that (1-6)?

message 13: by GHOULIO™ (new) - added it