Lora Tihomirova's Reviews > Last Breath

Last Breath by Rachel Caine

Nov 19, 11

bookshelves: vampires, favorites
Read from November 09 to 19, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Okay, Caine got me there. Now it's a draw between book 9 and book 11 for my absolute favourite Morganville book! Oh my God! This was intense! This was insane! This was shoking and horrible and beautiful all at once.
We've come a long way from the start of the series and you could see that in tha last few books, what with Amelie and Oliver actually telling Claire, Michael, Shane and Eve what the hell's going on, but you could actually feel the change here - at them fighting together, back to back, against something that is so horrible and unspeakable that the mind can't process it.
I love that Shane wiped away all the bad feelings I had for him from the last book. Here, he acted like a true hero - he believed Claire and didn't just act like a jealous jerk like he did in the past, didn't let go of her even when Michael and Eve had, and helped save those vampires - he had a lot bigger role in this book than before.
I loved Eve and Michael's party - especially the cake! :D But the slap was the crown jewel - oh, come on! I so wanted to be there and actually see Amelie's murderous look when Eve bitch-slapped her in front of everyone. Eve still rocks hardcore - love that girl!
On Claire dying - ugh. I don't even wanna remember. I felt like my heart was breaking when the three found her - that was just pure torture. And later, when she was all alone and thought she'd be like that forever - never being able to manifest, never being heard - it was horrible. I didn't believe, of course, that that was going to be the case - oh, come on, we have an entire book left, she wouldn't just stand there and scream!. Thank God for Myrnin - and I love him so, so much for everything he's done and that he let her go although he wanted her to join him in the "afterlife".
I loved the action at the end. It was spectacular and one of the most intense few chapters of the entire series. I hate these draughs, or whatever they're called - I felt a perverse satisfaction when Amelie threw the silver in the pool and they presumably died.
Already can't wait for the next book - and it's going to be the last one! I really can't believe it since I've been waiting on the publication of every book since Capre Corpus - I can't believe that after next year, we'll have no more next books on the adventures of Claire, Micheal, Shane and Eve and the entire Morganville bunch. I know Rachel will make a blast of a finale and I'm still not sure how it'll end but I can't wait!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Breath.

Quotes Lora Liked

Rachel Caine
“Eeek,” Shane said. Nothing. Right, Amazon princess, I got the point.”

Rachel Caine
“You sound disappointed.” Shane’s voice came out faint and thready, and he put his head back against the cushions as he squeezed his eyes shut. “Damn, I hate this. I really do.”

I know,” Oliver said. “Your blood reeks of it.”

Rachel Caine
“Marriage is a big word for all guys,” Shane said. “You know that. It’s kind of an allergy. We get itchy and sweaty just trying to spell it, much less do it.”

Rachel Caine
“What did I do?" he said. "Cake! It's cake! Delicious cake!”

Rachel Caine
“He let Shane drop back down in his chair, and walked out, back stiff. Furious.

Shane sat with his hands clutching at the armrests. He exchanged a stunned look with Eve, and they both stood up at once. "No," Shane said. "I did it. Let me fix it."

He went off after Michael. Eve chewed her lip and said, "Well, we're either going to see half the house destroyed, or their bromance is going to go all the way.”

Rachel Caine
“Says the girl dressed up in formal Goth mourning," Shane said. "Seriously, who buys a black lace veil? You keep that on hand for special occasions, like prom and kid's birthdays?”

Rachel Caine
“Who are you?" because even now, she couldn't let her questions go. "What are you?"
That face that wasn't a face smiled. It was the most terrible thing she'd ever see, ever. "Magnus" he said. "I'm the end.”

Rachel Caine
“You're kidding," Shane said. "Do you think I want to visit Crazy McTeeth in his lair of insanity?"
"No," Claire said, "but I'm pretty sure you won't like it if I go alone when I just kind of promised to be with you. So...?"
"Right. I've been missing Nutty McFang anyway."
"Stop making up names for him."
"What about Count Crackula?"
"Just stop.”

Rachel Caine
“Shut up!" Eve yelled from somewhere upstairs. "Jackass!"
"You know, when people say that, I just hear the word awesome,”

Rachel Caine
“No,” Shane said. “I’m not leaving you two here alone. We stick together.”
“I’m still not kissing you,” Michael said.
“Tease.”

Rachel Caine
“I’d kiss you, too, if I was closer.”(claire)
“I wouldn’t,” Michael said. “I don’t love you that way.”
“That’s not what you said last time.”(shane)
“Ass.”(michael)

_________________________

“No,” Shane said. “I’m not leaving you two here alone. We stick together.”
“I’m still not kissing you,” Michael said.
“Tease.”

Rachel Caine
“Go to hell and take that with you!” She shouted it right in Amelie’s face. Eve
was an exotic blaze of color against Amelie’s white fury.
And then she slapped the Founder in the face.”

Rachel Caine
“Here. Have a Coke. That’s good for a sore throat, right?”
“Good for everything,” Shane croaked, and took the extended cold can with good grace. “Thanks.”
“You owe me a dollar,” Eve said. “I’ll add it to the five thousand you already owe me, though.”
He blew her a kiss, and she stuck her tongue out at him, and that was the end of the subject, thankfully.”

Rachel Caine
“Michael patted him on the shoulder. “I like this plan,” he said. “You and Eve, picking up cake and flowers, and you can’t even say a word. Should be tons of fun.”
Shane almost choked, and gave Michael a sideways glare. Michael sent him a hundred-watt smile in return—no fangs, which was probably for the best.”

Rachel Caine
“Eve hugged her, hard. “It’s beautiful,” she said. “What happened to the old frosting?”
Shane, sitting at the table, raised his hand. “Took one for the team.”
“Jesus, you ate it? All of it?”
“Nah.” He held up the bowl that was sitting in front of him. There was still about half a cup left. “Couldn’t finish it all.”
Eve blinked and looked at Claire, who shrugged and said, “I always thought he was sweet.”

Rachel Caine
“If you ask me if I’m imagining it again, I’m going to punch you out, Dead Man Walking.”
Michael raised his eyebrows and glanced at Eve. “He doesn’t sound crazy.”
“Er,” she clarified, “crazier. He sounds like he’s back to normal, which is baseline crazy.”

11/14/2011 page 101