Sarah Jacquie's Reviews > Shizuko's Daughter

Shizuko's Daughter by Kyoko Mori

2027497
Nov 07, 2010

bookshelves: friendship, tragedy, life, japanese

My mum found this for me and while I didn't start it immediately, once I did it was a comfortable page turner and I finished it the same day.

Yuki is honest, rare, and sincere -- she isn't afraid to tell it the way it is. There are things in the book that mirror real life and it is by no means a fairy tale. Where you feel the need for resolution or find yourself hoping that someone will finally see things the way they are, they just don't. There is no sudden breakdown of apologies, admittance of guilt, or justice. For a girl who faces this and more unfair things, she instead finds and shows a way to still overcome it all without needing any simple nod from her offenders -- her biggest justice is just finding her strength and how to use it.

Where we might be reluctant, Yuki goes forward. Where we might be sentimental and cling to the past, Yuki shows us a way where we ARE the past and it follows us. No photos, letters, or any amount of things represent a life or one moment and it is in this strength she is able to do what most people can not. This left the biggest impression on me, and I think as humans this is the hardest thing for us to do: coming to terms with letting someone go, yet keeping them at the same time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shizuko's Daughter.