Caroline (Words & Whispers)'s Reviews > Echoes

Echoes by Melinda Metz

Dec 14, 10

bookshelves: my-library, reviewed
Read from November 10 to 16, 2010 — I own a copy

Okay, so there's three books from the FIngerprints series in Echoes, but since they're all under 200 pages, I'm just going to do a general review for all of them. They all follow the same story line, kind of like one big book anyways.
Lately I haven't been so into the supernatural abilities genre. But Echoes was fantastic, and I loved it so much I'm willing to re-try this overused plot. The story revolves around Rae, a girl who thinks she's going insane because she hears other people's thoughts, and Anthony, a dyslexic with anger problems. First of all, I loved Rae's reaction to her mind-reading abilities; I've been saying for a long time (and my friends will vouch for me) how ridiculous some character's reactions are to their superpowers. Especially psychic abilities; I doubt that if I randomly heard voices in my head saying things I wasn't thinking, my first reaction would be to have a lightbulb moment and realize I was psychic. Like Rae, I would have probably freaked out and ended up in some asylum, thinking I was going insane. Second of all, the turbulent relationship between Rae and Anthony was a great factor. I totally agree that way too much YA lit is about falling in love in a day, so the fact that Metz has dragged out what is inevitably going to become more than just a friendship makes these books great. As far as the murder-attempt mystery, it was well-played and I liked the fact that there were other main plots. Too many books revolve solely around one problem, making them boring and slowing them down; by having so many extraneous story lines, the book was fast-paced without racing through anything. My main problems were mostly Rae's choices; she went back and forth a lot on whether she wanted to get back together with her ex. I mean come on, he's either a jerk or he's a sweetheart every other page. It was annoying. Also, Yana got on my nerves; I just have something against those hot, obnoxious, loud, way-too-smart female sidekicks. That list keeps growing, along with another one. FInally, sigh, I've fallen in love with yet another fictional character. Anthony had that bad-boy attitude down to a science and I gobbled up every bit of it. He was just bad-ass enough to make him swoon-worthy while he had a fragile side that made him human and kept me alternately wanting him to just kiss Rae already and make him hold back. Someone should really ban me from reading books with male characters who are so attractive... I really can't wait to buy the next books.
4.5 stars and a recommendation to supernatural mystery/romance fans.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Echoes.