Sean's Reviews > Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami

Dec 30, 10

Read in December, 2010

Returning to this book after my first reading many years ago now, I found some aspects very fresh in memory and others totally forgotten. This is the most out and out fantasy / science fiction toned of Murakami's novels, with echoes of Phillip K Dick and Kafka. Once again Murakami dazzles me with his strange ability to write in a diffident, laconic style, about weirdly contrived situations and events, and unlikely characters, and yet move me to powerful emotions with the poetry and fundamental truth of his vision. Murakami's books seem to creep up on the reader. At first you are simply being pulled along by almost pulpy plot devices and wackiness, then slowly as you proceed, something very basic and powerful wraps itself around your brain, so that by the time you come to the end it is a wrench to pull yourself out of the spell of the world he has created and disengage from his sharp insights into the workings of your own mind and heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.