Anne Osterlund's Reviews > The Girl in the Arena

The Girl in the Arena by Lise Haines

Nov 08, 10

Lyn is a pacifist—she thinks. Though avoiding violence is quite a challenge when one is the daughter of seven gladiators (six dead, one alive) and—even worse—a Gladiator’s Wife. But nothing in Lynn’s life has ever been easy. Not watching her former fathers die in their matches, or protecting her oracle of a brother from being placed in a facility, or worrying about her mother’s next faux death.

But when Lyn’s bracelet is picked up in the arena by her father’s killer and she has to choose between marrying the guy and fighting him, the whole pacifism thing just might be on its way out.

Girl in the Arena is full of surprising twists and turns, an original setting (intriguing with its variances between the future, past, and present), and characters featuring more than one shocking entrance. And exit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Arena.

Monica I loved this book! It took a bit to get used to the format, but I loved it!

Karthi I loved this book! It was such a different theme compared to the vampires, angels, faries, and werewolves you get these days! I hope u like the books as much as I do!!!!!!!!

Sarah I have it... but haven't gotten to reading it yet :)

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex ugh i dropped off after page 50

message 5: by Sana (new) - added it

Sana Noor I've been wanting to read this novel. Let us know what you think of it.

message 6: by Samantha (new) - added it

Samantha Sana wrote: "I've been wanting to read this novel. Let us know what you think of it."

I agree! plz let us kno if u think its gd/not.. <3

Kristen I started this one in Borders and when I went back to read more, they'd sold the only copy :( I'll have to find it again.

Caitlin I'm going to have to agree with the rest of the group. It definantely sounds interesting! Please review when you're done, I want to know if it's worth the read!

Karthi Really good. Totally differenct topic hence the gladiators. I loved it mainly because it WAS different!

message 10: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Osterlund Hi Caitlin,

My review for A Girl in the Arena is up.

Caitlin Oh geez... I'm smart. I'm so sorry! I didn't even see that last paragraph. Thank you so much for reviewing!

Michael (Tattoogirl Reads) I thought this book was going to be like Hunger Games. It's not?

message 13: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Osterlund No, I would say you're far more likely to enjoy Girl in the Arena if you go into it expecting something completely unique. Though I do think the time frame and the message of the story can appeal to many of the same readers.

Michael (Tattoogirl Reads) I have an eclectic taste so if I know it's different then it will make me want to read it.

message 15: by TeAndrea (new)

TeAndrea Thanks Anne!

message 16: by Sangr1a (new) - added it

Sangr1a Because of your review, I'll read the book! :)

message 17: by Nannie :) (new) - added it

Nannie  :) ur review makes me wnatnto read this book.... u write good reviews. One question does the book has any romance. Thanks