Quinn's Reviews > Naked in Death

Naked in Death by J.D. Robb

Nov 05, 10

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, aar-top-100-2007, aar-top-100-2010, i-own
Read from November 03 to 05, 2010 — I own a copy

After much resistance and reluctance, I finally took the plunge on the dauntingly long In Death series. I know Nora Roberts can write, and I love the books she has written in her name, so I'm not sure why I waited so long.

I suppose there's was my the reluctance to commit to an ongoing series that spans nearly 40 books and shows no sign of stopping. The futuristic setting did not appeal overmuch to me either. I am not a lover of sci-fi, particularly in novels.

And then there's Roarke. How could he possibly live up to the hype that surrounds him in the romance world? I was worried that he couldn't possibly come close to my expectations and the magic wouldn't happen.

Well, as I expected, the novel was well-written, and the characters were multi-dimentional and appealing, even the prickly Eve. The author, whether writing as Nora Roberts or J.D. Robb knows how to create depth in her characters and writes relationships that just feel right and give you that warm, tingly feeling.

The futuristic setting, though, was a disappointment in that it wasn't fully realised. It seemed almost wall-paperish, just some random name-dropping of futuristic devices and elements with no depth or even explanation. I found this distracting initially and felt it really did nothing to enhance the novel. That said, it is very easy to ignore and didn't overly detract from my enjoyment.

And then there's Roarke. Even though I was reading with such heady expectations, he still managed to shine and provide some sigh-worthy moments. Although I can't yet name myself among the legion of fans ready to forsake all others, I can definitely see the potential. I imagine that as I get to know him better in future books, I may be willing to make that declaration.

So, yes, my TBR will happily be increasing by 38 and counting.

ETA: My Roarke
David Gandy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Naked in Death.

11/03/2010 page 26
8.0% "*waves hi to Jayne* I'm not sure how I feel about the futuristic elements yet. Interesting or distracting? I'm certainly not getting visuals from them at this stage. (P4 - "He skimmed his official compu-seal over the door to keep out the curious..." WTH is a compu-seal?)" 9 comments
11/04/2010 page 81
24.0% "What is with all the cops calling Eve 'Sir'???" 6 comments
11/04/2010 page 152
50.0% ""She gripped his arms, not sure if she intended to move in or away. 'It's a mistake.' 'So we'll have to make it count,' he muttered before his mouth captured hers. She moved in."" 11 comments
11/04/2010 page 164
54.0% "'I don't like the idea of you shivering unless I cause it. Stay warm' *sigh*" 8 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Quinn Looking forward to seeing if Roarke lives up to the hype. It's a big ask!

message 2: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Nov 03, 2010 03:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Ohh! I'm going to be reading this next after I finish Surrender, Quinn! How fast do you read? Would be great to do a "buddy read" and chat on each other's progress. And we're basically in the same time zone! LOL

I'm super curious about this infamous Roarke, too!

Quinn Depends on how good the book is - anywhere from 1 day to 1 month! I'd love to do a buddy read. When do you think you'll be able to start?

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* I may be starting this tomorrow. It's due back at the library at the end of the week. I've been caught up in Pamela Clare's I-Team books (LOVE 'em!!!) - and now Surrender - and I forgot when it was due and can't renew! LOL And now I HAVE to read it! Are you starting this tonight, Quinn?

Quinn I can see how the I-Team books would do that! I was going to read a couple of pages in bed, so I doubt I will make it far. I don't mind starting tomorrow, though.

message 6: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Nov 03, 2010 03:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* No, no, you can start first tonight, if you feel like it. No worries. Look forward to chatting about it with you. I better get off now and go finish Surrender. Iain is a'callin! ^_^ G'night, Quinn!

Quinn Enjoy!

BTW, I am a buddy-read virgin, so not sure how this works. o:

message 8: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Nov 03, 2010 03:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* LOL! I'm a buddy-read virgin, too!!! But I see people doing it all the time and I've always wanted to try it! Can someone show us how to do it?? *giggles*

Quinn, I think as long as we're reading it roughly around the same time, and we can post updates, and then we can chat about it after? *shrugs* And we can chat about it as much as we feel like, or not. How does that sound? It's just nice to know that someone's actually reading the same thing at roughly the same time. ^_^ I need to finish mine by Sunday, though, or at at least early next week - so I don't get fined! LOL Hey, you may finish before that. It's all good!

Quinn Sounds good, Jayne. I'm kinda excited! Looking forward to chatting tomorrow. Have a great night (what's left of it) and say 'hi' to Iain for me!

message 10: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Nov 03, 2010 04:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* I'm excited, too! And Iain says "Hi, bonnie lass!" ^_^ He's such a charmer. Although not acccording to Joseph! LOL

Chat some more tomorrow!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Oh, you finished already! I need to stop playing on here and get reading! LOL Will read your review when I'm done. ^_^

message 12: by Dina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dina Great review, Quinn. I'm glad to see your TBR increasing by 38 and counting, LOL. Some of the books in the series are actually novellas, so catching up won't be as daunting as you think... Yeah, right! ;)

Anyway, I'd like to give you an advice: don't rush and read all the books back to back, because you'll get burned out. As much as I love these books, not even I would be able to stand a steady and exclusive diet of them.

Quinn Thanks, Dina! I only have the first 3 on hand and the res will have to come from the library, so no probs spacing them out and thanks for the advice.

Although, such a tantalising taste of Roarke does make me want to dive back in for more!

Quinn No worries, Jayne, enjoy the rest of the book! No spoilers in the review - I didn't bother going into any of the plot etc. as it's already been done to death - get it! Hahaha.

Erika  Badass David Gandy is my Roarke too :)

Catherine Great review! You've made me more confident about trying this series out!

Quinn @Erika - he is mighty fine! I think the looks and 'vibe' both suit Roarke.

@Catherine - Thanks! It's driven more by suspense than romance, but very 'readable' like all her work.

Catherine Totally off topic...

Have you read Homeport? I was reading your other comment made on your update for Reckless about the intimacy of holding hands. It reminded me of a scene where Ryan realized Miranda had taken off her ring while he was playing with her fingers. I loved that book...

Anyway, that led to me remembering some funny parts and their relationship. All this added up to make me realize that I need a Nora Roberts fix!

Quinn Catherine, for some strange reason, I haven't read many of NR's stand-alone books. I've read Angels Fall, True Betrayals and Birthright. I'll add Homeport. What others would you recommend?

message 20: by Catherine (last edited Nov 06, 2010 06:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine Well, first, what did you think of True Betrayals and Birthright? They're ones I really enjoyed and frequently reread. I'd like to gauge our NR tastes before I rec a bunch to you.

Quinn I really liked True Betrayals. Birthright, a little less so - I think I had some trouble relating to the heroine in that one, if memory serves me correctly.

Catherine I've heard that complaint a lot about Birthright.

One of my absolute favorites is Hidden Riches. There's just something about it that draws me to it again and again. I absolutely love the main characters and their relationship together.

Homeport, as I said before. :)

Carnal Innocence - Love this one! Tucker and Caroline are just excellent together.

Divine Evil - This is one of my old favorites. I loved not only the relationship, but the side characters and interesting (but creepy) cult.

You can hit me up after trying out some of those so I can see if your tastes continue to line up with mine for the most part. I'd hate to rave about all these great books if you probably wouldn't agree. :)

Buggy Wowsers, That is the perfect Roarke, ThanksQuinn

Quinn Excellent! Thanks, Catherine. I will add them to the dreaded TBR pile and let you know how I go!

Quinn Oh yes, Buggy, David Gandy (or Roarke, as I now like to call him) is Hot (note the capital H)!