karen's Reviews > Son of the Mob

Son of the Mob by Gordon Korman

Dec 03, 11

bookshelves: and-so-this-is-grad-school, why-yes-i-ya, upstairs-neighbors
Read from November 02 to 04, 2010

what if the son of the mob boss fell for the daughter of the FBI agent investigating his father and bugging his house??

it is a cute conceit - a romeo and juliet tale with fewer suicides. i thought the opening scene, where our young hero is at the beach, at night, with a (different) girl, and finds a severely beaten man trapped in the trunk of his car as he is reaching for his romance-blanket was the best scene in the book. tip: if you have a capital-f family, don't let them borrow your car.

i have nothing useful to tell you about this book, and i am only reviewing it because of my mental housekeeping; once it is "reviewed", i feel like i can put it behind me - i feel a sense of restoration. right now, there is so much jumble as i plow through these teen fiction books like one of those death race 2000 cars: teen paranormal romance: 50 points!!! teen survival story: 70 points!! blammo!!! i am carradine!!! but i don't really have much time for reflection, not for books i was only just "eh" about. so i fall behind and my anxiety grows.

this book was cute and amusing, but if i were machine gun joe viterbo, i would probably give it a pass to get to run over peak or shackleton's stowaway, which are more to my taste...

maybe that is my problem: whenever someone asks me for "just something funny" at work, i get the panic-sweats. for some reason, that is my fucking blind spot. and part of it is that humor is so subjective, more so than any other human reaction. want a sad book?? someone dies in this one - most people find that sad. want something romantic?? these characters "fall in love" - done deal. funny?? ummm garrison keillor funny?? david sedaris funny?? martin amis funny?? douglas adams funny?? it is a nightmare question, especially when they preface it with: i need a book for a friend who is very depressed/in the hospital/just lost someone close to them. no pressure, right?? hence, the panic sweats.

none of this is very useful to someone considering reading this book, and i apologize. but it makes me feel better to have released my own shortcomings into the wild.

500 points.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Son of the Mob.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Greg (new)

Greg A girl asked for a romance novel, but not a romance novel from the romance aisle, but a book with a love story in it, I think this was Tuesday right after you left for you school, and I gave her Jude, and told her this was good love story. I'm pretty sure she bought it.

karen that is cruel of you, but there is a love story in all of that pain. it's just weird dismal cousin-romance.

message 3: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine douglas adams funny

message 4: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine I helped a customer for greg once who wanted a romance novel for his brother, I gave him all the british guy books.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Jasmine wrote: "I helped a customer for greg once who wanted a romance novel for his brother, I gave him all the british guy books."

No twincest? Shameful.

message 6: by Jasmine (last edited Nov 14, 2010 08:12AM) (new)

Jasmine next time, next time.

now that I know the glories of twincest I can't be stopped

message 7: by Jasmine (last edited Nov 14, 2010 08:54AM) (new)

Jasmine I have to say I panic most when people ask me for books like authors I really like.

Like what would you give someone who likes douglas adams? Chuck palahniuk? christopher Moore? etc.

whereas when I get what's like tom clancy I just list books that are the same size

Funny, I say tom robbins, christopher moore, terry pratchett, mykle hansen.

message 8: by Eh?Eh! (new)

Eh?Eh! Gordan Korman! I loved all his Boots & Bruno series, for kids. I remember reading one at the dinner table, and staying there long after the food was gone because I couldn't put it down, and my parents smiling at me because I was laughing so hard that I was crying and slapping the table.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I read a Jonathan Ames book once. It was pretty funny.

karen Eh?Eh! wrote: "Gordan Korman! I loved all his Boots & Bruno series, for kids. I remember reading one at the dinner table, and staying there long after the food was gone because I couldn't put it down, and my pa..."

i love that image.

but jazz, i am supposed to become the queen of readers' advisory. this is my challenge, and i am failing it. when i am home, i can think of many, but for some reason, in the heat of the moment, i always go blank. it is a problem. an affliction.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

write them on your hand.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

every day.

karen ariel is my new problem-solver.

i thank you.

every day.

message 14: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine karen you are already my queen. I can make you a list if that will help

karen of books that are the same size as tom clancy?

message 16: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine of funny books.

or books the same size as tom clancy if that would be helpful

karen if i don't do it myself, it will be cheating. i must be trained! like a ninja!

message 18: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine well if you ever want help

karen consider yourself on call.

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I'd recommend you watch more Asian movies if you like the forbidden love between gangstas and law-enforcement theme. Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong and China produce this stuff like crazy. XD

karen ooh - new movies!!

that is not a favorite theme of mine, but i will watch any movie, so tell me a few good movie titles, and i will netflix them.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Okay...any movie eh? I myself have not watched a single one of these, but I've heard from my friends that they, and I quote, are "not bad".

Translation: if you watch em, you did so by choice and whatever you feel after has nothin to do with me, yes?

Chunhyang (2000 film)
My Sassy Girl
Marrying the Mafia

The 2nd and 3rd movie were more popular in my country. 3rd is actually a series, and the 1st is more an after-thought because I hadn't even heard of it until I googled.

This doesn't really share the same theme, but I actually watched "My Little Bride" a couple of years back and I loved it. It's quite charming. I also cried my eyes out when I watched "A Millionaire's First Love". Enjoy!