Laura's Reviews > Heart and Soul

Heart and Soul by Maeve Binchy

Nov 08, 10

Read in November, 2010

This is my second outing in a Maeve Binchy novel and I have enjoyed it every bit as much as my first exposure to this writer’s offerings. Ms. Binchy is Irish and many if not all of her best-selling novels are based on the folks she has lived amongst all of her life. She brings to her writing an adept skill at handling multiple story lines with considerable ease.

Dr. Clara Casey is a somewhat renowned cardiologist who has been asked to head up an outpatient clinic for patients with heart disease which is part of a large hospital located in Dublin. She lets the hospital administrator know from the get go, that she will have her way with how this clinic is run and how it is designed. She sets out hiring the staff that she wants to work with. The staff, the patients and their families form the heart of this story.

I enjoyed the fact that Binchy pulled in one of the central characters from the one and only other Binchy novel I have read. That made this novel feel somewhat like a continuation of the other story line. It just made it all the more comfortable a read.

As one or more of the reviews I read about this book stated “(Binchy) makes you laugh, cry, and care” about the characters in this story. (Binchy’s) “insight, humor and compassion” create a “good-hearted” novel that offers “many honest pleasures.” Here, here! I agree. This story is rich in characterization and a very cozy and satisfying reading experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart and Soul.