Trix's Reviews > A Strong and Sudden Thaw

A Strong and Sudden Thaw by R.W. Day

Nov 02, 2010

bookshelves: mm-novels, gay-for-you, coming-out
Read from November 19 to 21, 2010

This was the kind of book you can't put down until you've read it all. I was charmed by the world depicted in these pages, and I fell in love with David and Callan.

[spoiler ahead]The only reason it doesn't get a 5 star rating from me is because I tend to like my book with a bit more explicit sexuality in it (while RW Day's writing made me think of a blushing high school girl). And because at times, I felt the storyline was moving a bit too slow. But other than that, it was a magnificent read. I enjoyed tremendously walking through the story alongside David, experiencing his emotions and seeing through his eyes. It almost moved me to tears to read the heartfelt bond between them and how it was tested over and over again without ever failing.

Being a fan of HEA, I kept on reading, hoping that things would somehow be made right. It was hard to believe that Callan had indeed lost his arm or the cruelty of townsfolk concerning private matters between lovers. But on the other hand, that made the story more realistic and touching. And the ending, while not the one I had expected or envisioned, still left me with a warm feeling inside and hope for better days for the two boys. Looking forward to reading the sequel.[end spoiler]
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Strong and Sudden Thaw.

11/21/2010
37.0% "105 pages out 282"
11/21/2010
73.0% "206 pages out 282"