Penny Ramirez's Reviews > Earthseed

Nov 02, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: sf, series, young-adult
Read in December, 2010

Hmmm.... I almost gave this 2 stars. Maybe 2.5 is closer to the truth. I picked it up b/c a third book in the series recently got interesting reviews, and I thought I'd best start at the beginning. Unfortunately, this first book was written in the early 80s, and was as clunky as I remember most YA fiction to have been back then.

Still an interesting premise - kids are "born" upon Ship, no adults present, and Ship raises them to be future colonists. The main character, Zoheret, seemed pretty weak for such a mature girl - but then, with no adult role models, I guess I couldn't expect much more. The main action of the book takes place inside the Hollow, with Ship's sensors disabled, so that the kids could learn to be self-sufficient once they make planetfall. Somewhat predictably, Lord of the Flies-type action ensues.

There were a few plot twists later that kept me reading, just to see where I'd be taken - but really, I slogged through this one, which I don't enjoy. I may go back and re-read that review again, to see if it re-energizes my desire to read the new book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earthseed.