Danny Shelton's Reviews > Flags of Our Fathers

Flags of Our Fathers by James D. Bradley

Nov 02, 2010

James Bradley recites the story of his father, one of the flag raisers on Iwo Jima, a story quite simply too horrifying to be told by the father to his son, and one only discovered after the fathers death. While this book is an excellent story, told by someone who is emotionally attached to the material and who went to great lengths to make sure it was told the right way, it just fails to ring true for me. Bradley espouses numbers throughout the book about how many hundreds of men were killed in a few minutes that it gives way to simple statistics and detracts from the more human core of the story. That is not to say that there are not moments of poignancy, as the book is littered with them. The point I am trying to make is that while the flag raisers get their due, few others who took part have their story told. Outside of the central characters there is little opportunity to get to know the courageous young Americans that died in those terrible days, and that is possibly the ultimate tragedy of war.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flags of Our Fathers.