Nora St Laurent's Reviews > Her Daughter's Dream

Her Daughter's Dream by Francine Rivers

Nov 02, 2010

Read in September, 2010

I have been blessed to receive a review copy of the sequel to Her Mother’s Hope. This is a very personal story for Francine Rivers. She says, “I wanted to explore what caused the rift between my grandma and my mom during the last years of my grandmother's life. Was it a simple misunderstanding or something deeper that had grown over the years? Many of the events of this story were inspired by my family history that I researched and events I read about in my mother’s journals or experienced in my own life. You may have guessed that Carolyn is my alter ego…but only some of my life is interwoven through hers…”

Her Daughters Dream covers a time span starting at 1951 and is brought to 2010. The author describes events in the history of the world, how this family and others responded to Kennedy’s assassination, the Vietnam War, Woodstock, Hippies/Free Love, September 11th and others.

The first part of this story is told through Hildemara Rose’s point of view. She’s very sick and needs to ask the help of a person who’s hurt her deeply - her mother, Oma Marta.

Francine Rivers quickly changes to Carolyn’s point of view, Hildemara’s daughter, for the majority of the book. Carolyn is a very studious child and is eager to please her parents. Her brother, Charlie,is the polar opposite of her. Carolyn’s life is forever changed by the relationship developed between Oma Marta and Hildemara, when Hildie was sick.

Carolyn does all the right things in school and learns how to blend in. But, things changed in high school with Charlie now attending the same school. He becomes protective of her and Carolyn has to learn new rules and how to melt into this new crowd.

1968 hits and Carolyn is at Berkley University gathering signatures to help protest the war in Vietnam. Carolyn’s world was changing quickly. Nothing made sense. She didn’t fit in anywhere. She didn’t know what to believe anymore. Where was God in all this war and killing?

“God? They’d all been saying God didn’t care or God was dead. When had faith ever been enough?”

Not in Carolyn’s life anyway. Carolyn’s parents, Hildemara Rose and Trip’s world wasn’t the same either- they were both in pursuit of the American dream. They gave their best to the job, there was little time left for family and friends.

Then one day Carolyn hears from Jesus and he’s told her what to do, “She just didn’t think she could do it.”

Her grandma Oma said, “Nothing is easy Carolyn. Life isn’t easy. We do the best we can with what God gives us.”

“But I’ve made a complete mess of everything Oma.”

“It’s not about what you’ve done. It’s about what you’re going to do now...You lived through it. You’re a survivor. The past doesn’t have any power over you anymore…it only has the power you give it.”

Francine Rivers does an incredible job of allowing the reader to get in the skin of each of her characters. I was quickly drawn into their situation and could feel their pain. It was amazing to see the events of our world affect one family and the people around them.

My heart broke for the women in this story and how misunderstandings and the fear of confrontation caused them to be in so much pain when in each others presence. Francine Rivers’ story helped me look at my family and how we weathered events in history and how it shaped and molded us as a family unit and as a country. It showed me that God has plans for us even in the middle of the storm; He wants us to cling to Him and have faith.

I loved Carolyn’s favorite prayer, “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can’t change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Thy will, not mine, be done.” This is easier prayed than done, but so true.

A Daughters Dream is an tremendously moving story of a families struggle to overcome misunderstandings of the past, trust God to help them forgive one another and heal the hurts and have faith to carry them through. Francine Rivers is a master wordsmith bringing God, faith and family together in such an incredibly moving way. This story is personal for Francine and she describes how the characters and the story parallel her personal life and struggles. Get your tissues ready as you read, I found my self weeping at the end for the sadness and joy of one family where God made a tremendous difference. This book is a keeper and one this reader will not soon forget. Either will you!

Disclosure of Material Connection:
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”

Nora St.Laurent
The Book Club Network www.bookfun.org
The Book Club Network blog www.psalm516.blogspot.com
Book Fun Magazine www.bookfunmagazine.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Her Daughter's Dream.

message 1: by Shawna (new)

Shawna Williams I adore Francine Rivers. she's a master at portraying the heart in all of its confliction and beauty with complete and utter sincerety. I'll never have words enough to express how she has touched my life through her writing.

message 2: by Adedoyin (new) - added it