Michael Armijo's Reviews > One True Thing

One True Thing by Anna Quindlen

Nov 02, 2010

My mother passed away (not from cancer), but from heart failure due to a condition called Mitral Regurgitation. All she really needed was a valve replacement but it was too late. My mom's death was very sudden & unexpected on January 24, 2000. In any case, my mother told me she loved this book. I had to read it...especially after she passed away. The story is a sad one about a mother who is dying of cancer with a bit of a twist about 'who killed her'! It taught me that time is precious and to spend your time with those you love. There's a line in the book about the best time of year to die which is January or February during the winter season. God chose that time of year for my mom, but is there really a "best time" to die? Probably not, yet, death is inevitable for everyone and anyone. Who knows though...the recent June 2000 'Human Genome Code' discovery could make human lives last for 200 or more years someday. This book has much more detail than the film version, although, Meryl Streep does an outstanding performance as the mother in the film. She was even nominated Best Actress for the film.

The most interesting line in the book for me:

"February is a suitable month for dying. Everything around is dead, the trees black and frozen so that the appearance of green shoots tow months hence seems preposterous, the ground hard and cold, the snow dirty, the winter hateful, hanging on too long."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One True Thing.